Many of the technological advances of the movie are taking shape in front of our eyes.
One of the most celebrated visions of the Future - as well as the Advertising in that Future - is that offered by Minority Report. Believe it or not, seventeen years have already passed since Tom Cruise tickled our eyes with a sumptuous feast of technology we supposedly will enjoy in the year 2054.
There's only one problem with that vision. It's already obsolete.
The Future is coming at us like a determined Olympic athlete faithful to her credo of citius, fortius, altius. Faster, Higher, Stronger.
Virtually all of the predictions in the film are being fulfilled much earlier. And most Brands are not prepared for the rapid adoption of this amazing Digital Lifestyle by the New Consumer.
Why is this important? Precisely because an uninformed Brand is an irrelevant Brand. We can only presume to be relevant companies offering relevant products and services if we do our homework.
The Smart Data that can be garnered by highly-personalised applications allows us to create Intelligent Marketing solutions that dramatically improve the profitability of our Marketing investment.
UPDATE: See how Digital Lifestyle now directly affects e-Commerce sales and Digital Marketing in our article about Voice Search, AI and Google's advances in Visual Recognition.
We will only be fresh and up-to-date if we invest time, interest, resources (and yes, money) in deeply understanding the Digital Lifestyle of our "Wallies", that 20% of our customers who cause 80% of our business. Investing long-term in Customer Intimacy strategies with our most profitable clients will allow us to answer key questions such as these:
- Instead of connecting with a tablet and/or smartphone, does she use wearable technology?
- Does your most profitable "Wally" enter his local gym biometrically, scanning his index finger?
- Is "Wally" already accustomed to speaking to his mobile devices to obtain information:
for stock prices, the weather forecast, or to set his alarm?
- Is Amazon's virtual AI assistant, Alexa, the family's most popular "nanny" since Mary Poppins?
|Some iPhone and iPad users set their alarms by simply speaking to their devices,
who then talk back to them.
- Has he abandoned E-Mail in favour of channels such as Slack or WhatsApp?
- Does she spend hours in VR 3D worlds playing, chatting, flirting ... and buying?
- Are your B2B decision makers experimenting with 3D Food Printing? Holography?
- Do perhaps even you unlock an on-demand bicycle you use ... with a QR Code on your phone?
UPDATE: OUR PODCAST ON ALEXA | LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE
European Marketing Flash Briefing 11 | Marketing, Innovation and Climate Change
Many Brands fail to connect with their best customers because they are mentally still living in 2002 - or even 1982! In the meantime, their most valuable consumers might be interacting with technology - and discovering more advanced competitors - as if it were already 2020.
What about your company? Do you pass the Digital Lifestyle test?
Originally published on the blog on 18 February 2014.
- 23 October 2018
- 12 November 2018
- 24 September 2019
- Minority Report, © Copyright 2002, Twentieth Century Fox
- PlayStation® focus group in Second Life, © Copyright 2010, Barcelona Virtual
- Screenshot of real-life use of Siri, the personal assistent of the Apple iPad